POST PROGRAM APPROVAL is now an online process completed through CE Broker. The review process takes about 5 to 7 business days. During this process the course you submit for approval will not show in your CE Broker account. Once your request has been reviewed the approved hours will be added to your CE Broker account and you will be notified by email.
It is very important you include a course description. Please do not upload all PowerPoint slides or pages and pages of program materials. That information is not needed and can delay our response. The course description for most programs is a short paragraph that states the program or course objectives. Find the information that relates to the course and upload it along with your non-approved attendance certificate under the option: Continuing education program not previously approved by the Board (post program approval process)
The link continuing education program not previously approved by the Board is for non-approved programs completed online, through home study or out-of-state. Remember: non-approved programs completed in-state and in-person are not eligible for post program approval.
The Board stopped sending out post program approval letters in December 2017. Licensees still holding post program approval letters from the Board will upload them as they would a Board approved certificate. Upload under: Pre-Approved Continuing Education (certificates and board approval notices submitted here) When asked for the approval number type in ‘Post Approved’.
FYI: Notice of Action received prior to CE Broker
- Click here: Information on post program approval please read first
- Please note: If you received a paper copy of a notice of action prior to CE Broker. Enter the form as a Board approved program. When it asks for a board approval number enter the words post approved. Then upload the notice of action you received.
- Do not renew your license until you have completed all CE hours and the proof of any post approval hours show on your CE Broker transcript.
1. Post Program Approval
Click here: Information on post program approval please read first
- Post program approval through CE Broker is for obtaining approval for non-approved CE hours related to licensure. After completing the course you may request post program approval.
- Programs that lean heavily towards business, religion or are medically based (without a mental health component), and those with content such as Reiki, sign language and first-aid, are not considered as being related to counseling, social work or marriage and family therapy. In addition, continuing education to promote personal growth of the licensee may not be post approved or may be approved for only those hours proven to relate to one of the focus areas listed for the license type in 4757-9-05.
- Post Program approval should be submitted within ninety (90) days of attending a program.
2. Non-approved programs taken in-state and in-person are not eligible for post program approval
CE hours completed within the State of Ohio (in person ) must be Pre-Approved by the CSWMFT Board and are not eligible for post program approval. An exception to this rule: Marriage & Family Therapist are allowed post program approval for non-approved coursework in related disciplines as well as programs approved for counselors and social workers which were completed in-state and in-person. This is due to a limited amount of approved programs for MFT’s.
- Board approval numbers for MFTs must contain the letter “T” in the approval number, e.g. RSCT000000 or MSCT000000
- Programs that are approved by NBCC, APA, NASW or ASWB are not automically accepted by this Board for MFT renewal. MFTs must request post program approval for the hours to be added to their CE Broker account.
- Programs approved by NASW (Ohio Chapter or National ) or ASWB are accepted for Social Work renewal.
- The Counselors Professional Standards Committee has voted to give NBCC Board approval. Ohio Counselors may complete programs approved by NBCC without requesting post program approval.
3. Types of programs eligible for post program approval
1. Out of state programs
3. Home study courses
4. College coursework taken in a related discipline, other than that of your license. Coursework taken within the department of your license is automatically accepted.
5. Publications, Articles, Books and Teaching or Presentations
6. Live webinars (recordings of a past webinar are not eligible for post approval)
4. When to submit your request for Post Program Approval
Post Program approval requests need to be submitted within ninety (90) days of attending a program. From your CE Broker dashboard each licensee will need to provide the following:
1. The presenters name and credentials (normally found in the program information)
2. A copy of the program brochure or other documentation of the program content.
3. A copy of the certificate of completion, transcripts, grade card, or signed statement from the presenter to demonstrate the licensee’s attendance at the program or course.
5. IMPORTANT: First time presentations (teaching)
- First time presentations (teaching) need to be post approved prior to renewal of your license. (Even if the program you presented was approved by the Board) The Board keeps track of teaching hours because a licensee cannot receive credit twice for the same program within a five year period; without showing proof that the course has significantly changed. 4757-9-06(C)
- You will need to upload a copy of the syllabus showing you as the presenter. This type of documentation will need show the date, subject, course description and duration of the course.
- Please allow three weeks for your post program approval form to be evaluated. Once your request has been reviewed, approved credit hours will be added to your CE Broker account. This information can be viewed from your CE Broker dashboard. From the My Records dropdown menu click transcript.
- Please note: If you received a paper copy of a notice of action prior to CE Broker. Enter the form as a Board approved program. When it asks for a board approval number enter post approval. Then upload the notice of action.
6. Pre-approved programs and providers
- Board approved programs will have an approval number similar to these (RCST000000 or MCST00000) listed on your attendance certificate.
- Social Workers are able to take programs approved by NASW (Ohio Chapter or National ) or ASWB both are accepted for Social Work renewal. Other license types can submit these programs for post approval.
- Pre-approved training's are not to be submitted for post program approval.
- The Counselors Professional Standards Committee has voted to give NBCC Board approval Ohio Counselors may complete programs approved by NBCC without requesting post program approval.
7. Journal articles or books
Journal articles or books on subjects related to: Counseling, Social Work or Marriage & Family Therapy shall meet the following requirements: (Must be post approved prior to renewal of your license)
1. Journal articles shall be published in refereed journals for a maximum of ten CE hours.
2. Chapters authored by licensees in books…will be treated as journal articles.
3. Reprints or republications of published materials… are not acceptable.
4. You must submit your request for post program approval prior to renewal of your license in order to count the hours.
5. The book or article must be published within your two year renewal period.
Self published books are NOT eligible for credit
Single authored books can be granted up to thirty clock hours.
Multiple authors will each be granted an equal number of clock hours.