- License renewal notifications are emailed to the email address the Board has on file for you 90 days before your license expires. The email contains your license renewal date and information about signing into elicense.ohio.gov to renew your license.
- Your license is eligible for renewal once you receive this notice. DO NOT RENEW EARLY IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED ALL 30 CEU HOURS.
- If you do not receive a renewal email please contact the board. to update your email address.
Go to: elicense.ohio.gov
Click Login / Create Your Account. and log in as an Existing User with your User Id (your email address) and the unique password you created when you registered. Then go to your license “tile” (it looks like a mini certificate) and click on “Options.”
From the drop-down menu under the “Options” button you can choose to:
- Duplicate/Replacement Wall Certificate
- Change Address
- Change Name (licensees with multiple licenses should indicate in comments which license certificates to replace. Pay only one fee.)
- Send Verification
- Special Request
- Submit additional Documentation
Beginning January 2019 the Board wants all licensees to complete their Free CE Broker Account prior to renewing their license. (note: CEUs are not required for Trainee registrations, or licensees in Inactive/Escrow status). Read more about CE Broker on our website here.
The company that facilitates credit card charges for the eLicense system has implemented enhanced security measures that require that payment related information entered to complete a transaction match the credit card company's records. With this change, if a licensee or applicant is attempting to make a payment in the eLicense portal and they encounter a message such as “Declined by Fraud Service”, this could be the result of a mismatch between the credit card company’s information and the address information inputted by the user. Licensees and applicants making payments must to enter the billing information that the credit card company or bank has listed for the card. It must match exactly. Abbreviations should be used with caution. For example the credit card company may show an address at a certain "Road". If "Rd" is entered, the payment may be rejected. For technical assistance, please contact the Customer Service Center Monday through Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET at (855) 405–5514.
Military Deployment and renewal. If a licensee or their spouse is Military (active or reserve) special consideration is given. Contact the Renewal Coordinator to discuss your options. Detailed information is on the Military Licensing page.
For those in private practice the renewal application will ask you to list the name of the person responsible for the maintenance and security of your clients' records.
4757.13 Prominent display of license.
(A) Each individual who engages in the practice of professional counseling, social work, or marriage and family therapy shall prominently display, in a conspicuous place in the office or place where a major portion of the individual's practice is conducted, and in such a manner as to be easily seen and read, the license granted to the individual by the state counselor, social worker, and marriage and family therapist board.
(B) A license holder engaged in a private individual practice, partnership, or group practice shall prominently display the license holder's fee schedule in the office or place where a major portion of the license holder's practice is conducted. The bottom of the first page of the fee schedule shall include the following statement, which shall be followed by the name, address, and telephone number of the board:
"This information is required by the Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board, which regulates the practices of professional counseling, social work, and marriage and family therapy in this state."
- If you have not completed your CEUs, do not renew your license until all CEUs have been completed.
- If you are not practicing within the state of Ohio, the CSWMFT Board does allow for late renewal. However, you cannot skip a renewal. If you have not renewed your license by your renewal date you are not able practice or refer to yourself as licensed.
- If the license has lapsed for less than two years, and you have completed 30 approved CEUs and submitted a renewal application and fee, the license will be renewed to the next renewal date.
- For example: you did not renew your license in June 2011 instead you renewed your 2011 renewal late in June 2013. In June 2015 you will need to renew your 2013 renewal. You are not able to skip a renewal and you cannot practice on a lapsed license.
- If you allow your license to remain in a lapsed status beyond your next renewal date your license will expire and you will have to re-test and re-apply for licensure under the current Laws and Rules.
- Click here for information on renewing into inactive status; for up to five years.
Many licensees will receive their renewal notice one to four months in advance. If you renew your license early it is important to know:
- You cannot begin taking CEUs towards your next renewal until your renewal date has passed.
- All 30 of your CEU hours must be completed when you renew your license. Renewing your license with less than 30 approved hours is a violation of the law.
If you have been convicted of a felony or first degree misdemeanor since your last renewal or since licensure you are required under law to report all misdemeanor and/or felony convictions (other than minor traffic violations). Failure to report any police record is falsification of an application and is grounds for denial of an application for renewal.
- All OCSWMFT licensees are required to renew every two years on the date of issuance. For example if you were licensed October 10, 1986 your first renewal date would have been October 10, 1988.
- License renewal notifications are emailed to each licensee 90, 60, 30, and 15 days prior to your renewal date. The renewal notice includes registration information for first time renewal . For those licensees who are already registered in the ‘elicense” system the notice contains your license number and renewal date, and requirements.
- Continuing education must be completed prior to renewing your license this includes the 3 hour ethics requirement for all licensees and 3 hours of supervision training required for licensees granted the supervisory designation.
- You may renew any time prior to midnight on your expiration date. Renewals submitted after the expiration date will be charged a $40.00 late fee. Social Work Assistants (SWA) late fee $20.00.
- Licensees have until midnight of their renewal date to renew their license.
There is a $3.50 fee per transaction required by the State of Ohio
- SWA: Cost of Renewal $63.50 ~ Late fee: $20
- LSW, LPC & MFT: Cost of Renewal $83.50 ~ Late fee $40
- LPCC, LISW & IMFT: Cost of Renewal $103.50 ~ Late fee $ 40
Proof of Renewal: During the online renewal process you will receive a receipt from the bank processing your payment. The CSWMFT Board does not generate this receipt.
Wallet Card: As of January 16, 2015 the CSWMFT Board voted to discontinue wallet cards. Your license can now be verified by using the Board's online license verification.
License Verification: Once you have renewed your license online your license will be renewed the next business day. At this time your license has been updated to your next renewal date; this can be confirmed by going to Online License Verification
Audit: The audit is pulled after your license has been updated. The audit does not hold up renewal of your license.
From time to time there are extenuating circumstances that interfere with how we operate in our professional lives. Licensees may request a extension/waiver for the renewal of their license for extenuating circumstances. These request must be made in writing and documented, medical issues require a medical statement from your physician. Request must be submitted to the Renewal Coordinator prior to your renewal date.
Removal of the supervision designation from your license must be completed prior to renewal. If you renew your license with the supervision designation you must have completed the supervision hours prior to renewal. Renewing without the required hours completed is a violation of CSWMFT Board rules and may result in criminal and/or administrative sanctions.
Rule 4757-9-01(C) of the Administrative Code for marriage and family therapists;
Rule 4757-9-02(A) of the Administrative Code for professional counselors;
Rule 4757-9-03(D) of the Administrative Code for social workers
To remove the supervision designation:
Send an email to the Renewal Coordinator requesting your supervision designation be removed. The request to remove your supervision designation must be submitted & completed prior to the renewal of your license.
We couldn't answer your question?
Let us help you find the answer you are looking for Contact us.