The Social Work Trainee registration is for students who are enrolled in a master’s-level social work internship/field education course. This registration allows students to act as a social worker during their internship. If you are already licensed as an LSW, do not apply for SWT.
- The first step is to complete the SWT application online. You will need to register and create a User ID and password to access the e-License system. Once you’ve registered, complete the application for Social Work Trainee
With this application, you will attach proof of enrollment in a master’s level social work field education course. Your program must either be accredited or in candidacy status by the CSWE. Proof of enrollment may include either
a) a copy of the university’s online course schedule for a current or upcoming semester, showing your enrollment in a social work field education course, or
b) a letter, fax or email from your professor, social work department head, or registrar, stating that you are enrolled in a field education course with the start and end dates of the term.
- The second step is to complete BCI and FBI criminal records checks. Print the BCI & FBI Instructions and take them with you to your local police, sheriff’s department, department of motor vehicles, or other WebCheck location.
If you have previously completed a background check through your agency, unfortunately the Board cannot accept a copy of that. Background check results must come directly from the BCI&I. You can either complete a new BCI and FBI check, or have your BCI resubmitted and then complete a new FBI. See details on how to re-submit the results of previously-completed BCI background checks.
FBI checks can’t be resubmitted and will need to be repeated. It will take at least 45-60 days for the Board to receive a re-submitted BCI check, while a new one should be received much more quickly
After You Have Submitted Your Application
- Be sure to submit any required documents.
- Complete the background checks.
- Track the status of your application by clicking on Review Status under Options on your license application tile in eLicense. The review checklist indicates whether the Board has received your background checks, submissions such as your transcript or hours of supervision, and your exam score.
For applicants with a criminal record
Along with your online application, you will be required to provide a complete explanation of the underlying circumstances with sufficient rehabilitation evidence, and a certified copy of the court documents (judgment entry) related to your conviction. Applicants are required under law to report all misdemeanor and felony convictions, with the exception of minor traffic violations (DUI/OVI charges are NOT considered traffic violations, and must be reported as criminal convictions). Failure to report any police record is falsification of an application and is grounds for denial. Please be aware that if you have a conviction, your BCI/FBI checks may take up to 30 days to be received by the Board. Your file may also require additional review by the Board before your SWT is approved.
Once all items are received and your registration is processed, you will receive an email from the board indicating that you may now call yourself an SWT.