Marriage and Family Therapist Trainee registration is only for master's level students attending master's-level Marriage and Family Therapy programs. It allows students to act as marriage and family therapists within their field education. Students must be enrolled in a field education course to hold the MFT Trainee registration.
Instructions to apply for MFT Trainee
This trainee status is only valid for use in the state of Ohio. If applying for both CT and MFT trainee status, an applicant is allowed to submit only one copy of BCI/FBI background checks to the Board, as these items can be shared between the Counseling and MFT departments. However, you will need to attach Proof of Enrollment to both applications.
Although registration as an MFT Trainee is optional, some training sites might require it. If registration is needed, the following requirements must be met:
- Complete an online MFT Trainee application via the eLicense Portal
- Criminal records checks for both the BCI & FBI
The Criminal Records Checks can take 2-4 weeks to process. Print the BCI & FBI Instruction sheet and take it with you to a Sheriff or Police Department. These checks are only valid for one year.
- The Board will need proof of enrollment in a master’s or doctoral-level practicum or internship
Proof must contain the student’s name, class title, and the beginning and end dates of the academic term. A copy of the university’s online enrollment document or class schedule verifying the actual beginning and ending of the semester/quarter is acceptable. You will attach your proof of enrollment directly to the MFT Trainee application.
MFT Trainee Extension
Trainee registrations are typically only active for one quarter or semester at a time. For each new academic term, you will need to renew.
Information on the Board's online renewal process can be found on our website here. You will simply log into your e-License portal, click the Options button and then click Renew. Proof of enrollment will need to be attached to your renewal form.
Internship/Practicum Evaluation Form (Required only for non-COAMFTE programs only)
Once you have met your internship and/or practicum requirements, you will complete the Evaluation Rating Form. The form must be submitted when you request to sit for the examination. See the MFT Application Instructions for details.
- If you are ending supervision with a supervisor without completing your internship hours, your supervisor will still need to complete the Evaluation Rating Form.
- If you have more than one supervisor, each supervisor will complete a form.
After You Have Submitted Your Application
- Be sure to submit any required documents.
- Complete the background checks.
- Track the status of your application by clicking on Review Status under Options on your license application tile in eLicense. The review checklist indicates whether the Board has received your background checks, submissions such as your transcript or hours of supervision, and your exam score.