- One year and fifteen hundred hours of clinical experience post Ohio LPCC licensure.
- Document a minimum of twenty-four hours of academic preparation or board approved continuing education coursework in counselor supervision training including training six hours in each the appropriate areas 4757-17-01(E)(1)(a)
- Log onto the Board’s e-License system to apply for the supervision endorsement.
Log in and go to your license tile and click the Options Button, select “apply for an endorsement” from the drop-down menu.
Answers to Frequent Questions
- 4757-17-01(E)(c) The licensed professional clinical counselor in training shall observe five supervision sessions conducted by a licensed professional clinical counselor with a supervisor designation. Following the observation of five supervision sessions, the license professional clinical counselor in training and the supervisor shall conduct a minimum of a one-hour review session to process and review the observed sessions.
- Note to the LPCC applying for supervision designation; be mindful of the following:
- Before you begin supervising familiarize yourself with Board requirements for counselor trainees and LPC’s who wish to upgrade.
- Your supervisee must have a supervision log that you as the supervisor will sign at least quarterly.
- Your supervisee must have an active LPC or CT status.
- Supervision must start with an initial fact to face meeting after which acceptable communication may be in person, via videoconferencing or by phone, if proper safeguards for confidentiality are maintained.
4757-17-01(A)(1) "Training supervision" is supervision of all individuals who are gaining the experience required for a license as a licensed professional clinical counselor, or a license as a licensed professional counselor under rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code, or a counselor trainee registered with the board and enrolled in a practicum or internship class under paragraph (E) of this rule. This type of supervision requires extensive time and involvement on the part of the supervisor in order to help supervisees improve their skills and/or learn new skills. Supervision must start with an initial face-to-face meeting after which communication may be in person, via videoconferencing or by phone. Training supervision shall include an average of one hour of face-to-face contact between the supervisor and supervisee for every twenty hours of work by the supervisee. Training supervision shall be face-to-face individual and/or triadic for counselor trainees. Training supervision shall be face-to-face individual or group supervision for licensed professional counselors.
4757-17-01(A)(2) "Work supervision" is supervision required of licensed professional counselors who are engaging in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders. Licensed professional counselors shall disclose to their clients in writing that they are engaging in the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders under the supervision of an appropriately licensed mental health professional. The supervisee shall also disclose to their clients in writing the name(s) of the said professional(s).
4757-17-01(E)(2) All licensed professional counselors and licensed professional clinical counselors shall maintain the training supervision designation by obtaining three hours of counselor professional standards committee approved continuing professional education in supervision.