Web Content Viewer

Out of State Licensees - Clients Moving to OH or Potential Clients in OH

Out of State Licensees -  Clients Moving to OH or Potential Clients in OH

As of July 1, 2021, the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage and Family Therapist Board will no longer allow temporary permission to practice to out of state Social Workers, Counselors, and MFTs who have existing clients in the State of Ohio.

Out of State Clinicians who believe it is in the best interest of an existing client to continue to receive services must plan to obtain an Ohio license to continue the client-therapist relationship across state lines.  The Board will grant permission to provide 1- 4 transitional sessions, that will begin after the client is physically residing in the state of Ohio, to allow enough time to the out of state clinician to apply to the Board and receive their licensure or to help the client locate and transition to a licensed therapist in Ohio. However, obtaining full Ohio licensure is required to continue to work with a client located in Ohio beyond the approved transitional sessions.  

Please email the Board’s Renewal Coordinator, at renewal@cswb.ohio.gov to receive email permission to provide 1- 4 sessions while you complete a licensure application.  Clinicians who wish to see new clients in Ohio must obtain an Ohio license to treat a client who resides in Ohio. Temporary permission will not be granted for these circumstances.

Instructions to apply for Ohio licensure for out of state applicants, by license type, can be found by clicking the links below.