Web Content Viewer
SW Trainee FAQs
Young Man listening intently to a colleague with his hands folded

SW Trainee FAQs

Frequently asked questions about the Social Work Assistant (SWA) registration in the state Ohio, including information on eligibility and scope of practice

Social Work Trainee registration is only for master's level students from Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited programs who are not already licensed as social workers.  It allows students to act as social workers within their field education.  Students must be enrolled in a field education course to hold the SWT.

At your internship site (and only at your internship site), you can perform the full duties of a licensed social worker.  The scope of practice for a licensed social worker can be found here:  http://codes.ohio.gov/oac/4757-21-02

No. The SWT is not a license to practice, it’s a registration of your field education. If you’re not currently enrolled in field, or if you’ve completed your MSW program, the SWT cannot be renewed.


When you apply for the SWT, you will provide your proof of enrollment in a field education course for the current or upcoming semester.  The SWT will be current for that semester, plus 30 days.  This can be renewed at any time.

To renew your SWT for another semester, go to eLicense.ohio.gov and log into your account. Once you're on your license tile (the tile looks like a mini-certifcate) from the OPTIONS dropdown menu select RENEW be prepared to upload proof of enrollment (POE).

You will receive a reminder email with this information 90 days before your SWT is due to be renewed.


Refer to the SW Trainee Quick Links on this page, and click link #1. SW Trainee Instructions.

Your SWT is valid for 30 days after the end of each semester.  As long as you’re still performing work duties at your internship/field site, your SWT is valid during that period at that site.  If you’re going to work somewhere else, your SWT is NOT valid at that site.  It’s only valid when you’re working at your internship site.


We couldn't answer your question?

Let us help you find the answer you are looking for Contact us.

Can't find the answer you are looking for?

Let us help you. Fill in our Contact form.