This is a brief overview of the law concerning Professional Clinical Counselor licensure . It is your responsibility to read the Laws and Rules for a full understanding of the requirements for Professional Clinical Counselor licensure.
An LPC may upgrade to a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC), after completing two years of training experience under the supervision of an LPCC-S, which includes the diagnosis and treatment of mental & emotional disorders.
See the LPCC Application Instructions and other links for complete information regarding the LPCC license
Ohio’s Education Requirements for Counselor Licensure:
Master’s degree from a clinical mental health counseling program, clinical rehabilitation counseling program, or addiction counseling program accredited by the council for accreditation of counseling and related educational programs “CACREP.”
NCMHCE Examination Preapproval
Exam preapproval is now processed once a complete LPCC application is received. Please be prepared to take the exam when a letter of eligibility is requested, as the letter is valid for only six months. Applicants who pay for and register for the exam may forfeit fees if they do not take the exam by the expiration date of the letter of eligibility. When registering and paying for the exam, be sure you are on the State Licensure ProCounselor page to ensure you pay for the correct exam
Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor applicants
• Complete the application for LPCC licensure $100+ $3.50 application fee
• After you pass the exam: email a copy of your exam score report (the one you received at the testing center) to email@example.com OR fax to (614) 728-7790
• Document two years of supervised experience that meets the following requirements:
• Two full calendar years of supervision
• A minimum of 1,500 hours of experience within each year
• The experience must have included within its scope of practice the diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders.
Your supervisor will complete the Form to document supervised hours twice during your two years of supervision.
• Watch the board’s Laws & Rules Video
If the Board does not have your transcript on file already, have your school submit official transcripts,showing your counseling degree conferred, directly to the board. You can have your transcript emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred method of delivery), or mailed to the address below.
BCI & FBI Criminal Records Check (Watch the Video)