PRINT: SW-T Instructions
Andy Miller will be your contact person during the social work trainee process. Contacting Andy to check for receipt or missing parts of your file can be counterproductive adding to his already busy schedule. The Board asks that you instead follow these instructions: Keep copies of all faxed or mailed forms; read and follow all instructions. Allow at least 10 business days for processing and then contact him through email, if necessary. email@example.com
Steps toward initial Social Worker Trainee Status
1. Complete the SW-Trainee Application – Online https://license.ohio.gov/Applications/default.asp
2. The Board will need proof of enrollment in a master’s level social work field education course. Your program must be accredited or in candidacy status by the CSWE, and your course schedule must show that you are currently enrolled in field education. Licensed Social Workers cannot become Social Work Trainees.
Proof of enrollment in a master’s level field education course (practicum/internship/field work); acceptable options for proof of enrollment are:
Copy of the university’s online course schedule, can be faxed, mailed, or emailed to Andy Miller.
A letter, fax or email from the professor, social work department head or registrar stating that you are enrolled in a field placement /practicum and the dates of your enrollment. Please include term start and end dates.
3. You must complete: Criminal records check both the BCI & FBI.
The Criminal Records check can take 2-4 weeks to process. Print the BCI & FBI Instructions
and take it with you to a Sheriff or Police Department.
When reporting convictions, the applicant is required to provide a complete explanation (your personal statement) of the underlying circumstances, sufficient rehabilitation evidence and a certified copy of the court documents. All applicants are required under law to report all misdemeanor and felony convictions, with the exception of minor traffic violations (note: DUI/OVI charges are not considered traffic violations, and must be reported as criminal convictions). All charges and or convictions require a “yes” answer, even if the original charge and conviction is in an expunged status. Failure to report any police record is falsification of an application and is grounds for denial of an application.
Social Work Trainee Renewal
4. Social Worker Trainees will need to show proof of enrollment prior to the next semester or quarter in order to continue trainee status.
Trainees need not re-apply but shall provide proof of their enrollment in a practicum, internship or field placement. (Include term start and end dates).
Without proof of enrollment social work trainee status will expire. As an ACTIVE social worker trainee, your scope of practice is the same as an LSW per rule 4757-21-02.Your responsibility is to maintain an active status while you are enrolled and practicing as a social worker trainee. 4757-7-02 Practice with expired license or certificate of registration is prohibited. Social Worker trainees may be supervised by: a LSW with a MSW, LISW and/or LISW-S.
Go to the board’s web site cswmft.ohio.gov and follow the steps below for verify your Social Worker Trainee Status
1) Click on: Online License Verification ”
2) At the Ohio License Center fill in only two areas Select of Board and “Name (Last, First)”
a. Select a Board: should say: “Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage & Family Therapist Board”; then
b. Scroll down to “Name (Last, First)” in the first box type your “last name” in the next box type your “first name” click the search button.
3) Once the page re-loads click on your name. The page that comes up next will be the page you print for license verification.