Continuing Education Requirements
- Thirty Clock Hours of continuing education are required for all license renewals every two years from the date of licensure. Three of the thirty hours must cover ETHICS.
- Social Work Assistant (SWA) Registrations require 30 hours of continuing education every two years and at least three of those hours must cover ethics.
- All hours must be completed, approved or post approved before you renew your license.
- Licensees are not able to take the same CEU twice within a 2 year renewal period 4757-9-06(D)
- All continuing education completed within the State of Ohio must be pre-approved by the board to count toward your renewal, however only the sponsoring organization may submit for pre-approval. Pre-approved trainings will have a board approval number similar to these numbers: (RCSTX00000 or MCSTX0000) a C in the approval number indicates approval for counselors, a S approval for social workers and a T approval for therapist.
- For Social Workers only we accept trainings approved by NASW National, NASW Ohio Chapter, and ASWB.
- All licensees or registrants are required to complete three hours of ETHICS. Ethics CEUs may or may not contain the word ethics in the title or description. Some CEUs cover 'ethical subjects' , such as: productivity, documentation, termination, HIPPA, boundary concerns, cultural diversity, human trafficking and some types of supervision.
- LPCC-S & LPC-S counselors holding the supervising counselor designation must complete 3 hours of supervisory training per renewal cycle, in addition to the three hours of ethics required of all licenses. This type of supervision needs to be focused on training that will help supervisor to help their supervisees (counselor trainees and clinical residents) to gain the experience required for licensure as a professional counselor or professional clinical counselor, and to improve their own skills as a supervising counselor. ref. 4757-9-02(A)
- LISW-S holding the supervising designation must complete 3 hours of supervisory training per renewal cycle, in addition to the three hours of ethics required of all licenses. This type of supervision needs to be focused on training supervision of LSW’s working toward their two years of supervised practice or SWTs in their field work. TIP: supervision should contain content that includes the: supervisor, supervisee and the client. ref: 475709-03(D) / 4757-23-01 paragraph (E)(3)(b)
- IMFT-S All supervising independent marriage and family therapists shall maintain supervisory status by obtaining five hours in an AAMFT approved supervision refresher course or equivalent supervision course every five years. IMFT-S licensees must also complete three hours of ethics every renewal cycle. ref. 4757-29-01 (F)(4)
Dual Licensure renewal applicants who hold two or more licenses issued by this board may use one CEU toward renewal of both licenses as long as the CEU was taken within the two year renewal cycle of both licenses and approved for both licenses.
4757-7-01 Renewal of license or certificate of registration (B)(2)
(2) Renewal applicants who hold two or more licenses issued by this board shall satisfy the continuing professional education requirements for each license they wish to renew. Continuing professional education used to renew one license or certificate of registration issued by this board may be used to renew another license or certificate of registration if it is approved for that license or certificate of registration.
- Distance Learning means a formal education process, in which instruction occurs when the students and instructor(s) are not located in the same place.” Distance learning refers to all non traditional methods of presentation such as online programs, home study, teleconference, and recorded webinars.
- Social workers may complete 30 hours of distance learning training for each renewal.
- Counselors may only complete 15 hours of distance learning training for each renewal.
- Marriage & Family Therapist may only complete 15 hours of distance learning training for each renewal.
- All face to face continuing education completed within the State of Ohio must be pre-approved (only the sponsoring organization may submit for pre-approval). Currently Marriage & Family Therapist may submit in-state programs for post approval due to the limited number of providers for their profession. Note: In-state programs must have approval for Counselors or Social Workers.
- All OCSWMFT licensees are required to renew every two years on the date of issuance. For example if you were licensed October 10, 1986 your first renewal date would have been October 10, 1988.
- License renewal notification letters are mailed to the address on file each quarter this letter contains your license renewal date and a board issued user id and password for online renewal. Your license is eligible for renewal once you receive this notice.
- If you do not receive a renewal notice letter at least 30 days prior to your license renewal date please contact the board. Continuing education must be completed prior to renewing your license this includes the 3 hour ethics requirement for all licensees and 3 hours of supervision training required for licensees granted the supervisory designation.
- You may renew any time prior to midnight on your expiration date. Renewals submitted after the expiration date will be charged a $40.00 late fee. Social Work Assistants (SWA) late fee $20.00.
Cost of Renewal: Licensees have until midnight of their renewal date to renew their license.
Cost of Renewal$40 ~ Late fee: $20
LSW, LPC & MFT:
Cost of Renewal $60 ~ Late fee $40
LPCC, LISW & IMFT
: Cost of Renewal $75 ~ Late fee $ 40
- License renewal notification letters are mailed to the address on file each quarter this letter contains your license renewal date and a board issued user id and password for online renewal. Your license is eligible for renewal once you receive this notice. DO NOT RENEW EARLY IF YOU HAVE NOT COMPLETED ALL 30 CEU HOURS.
Renewal notice letters are mailed in quarterly increments:
- If you do not receive a renewal notice letter at least 30 days prior to your license renewal date please contact the board. If you misplace your renewal notice letter you can E-Mail the Board for your user ID and password.
- January through March renewal dates; are mailed in November
- April through June renewal dates; are mailed in February
- July through September renewal dates; are mailed in May
- October through December renewal dates. are mailed in August
Many licensees will receive their renewal notice one to four months in advance. If you renew your license early it is important to know:
- You cannot begin taking CEUs towards your next renewal until your renewal date has passed.
- All 30 of your CEU hours must be completed when you renew your license. Renewing your license with less than 30 approved hours is a violation of the law.
- If you have not completed your CEUs, do not renew your license until all CEUs have been completed.
- If you are not practicing within the state of Ohio, the CSWMFT Board does allow for late renewal. However, you cannot skip a renewal. If you have not renewed your license by your renewal date you are not able practice or refer to yourself as licensed.
- If the license has lapsed for less than two years, and you have completed 30 approved CEUs and submitted a renewal application and fee, the license will be renewed to the next renewal date.
- For example: you did not renew your license in June 2011 instead you renewed your 2011 renewal late in June 2013. In June 2015 you will need to renew your 2013 renewal. You are not able to skip a renewal and you cannot practice on a lapsed license.
- If you allow your license to remain in a lapsed status beyond your next renewal date your license will expire and you will have to re-test and re-apply for licensure under the current Laws and Rules.
- Click here for information on renewing into inactive status;for up to five years.
- Banking hours 30 clock hours of continuing education is required for each renewal, if you complete more than the required 30 hours you may bank up to 12 of the additional hours toward your next renewal. To bank hours you simply keep documentation of 30 hours for both renewal periods showing the hours were not used previously. This information is submitted with your continuing education audit.
- The Board is not able to keep track of your extra CEU hours. You will need to hold onto copies of the certificates from your previous renewal in order to prove you completed extra hours. You will need copies of your extra CEU hours (completed in the past renewal period but) not previously used. You must complete at least 18 hours within your present renewal period in order to bank the 12 extra hours from your previous renewal. If audited you will list and attach copies of all the certificates on your audit form; for a total of 60 hours (30+12+18=60)
- Address Change: If your address has changed within the last 90 days you will need to notify the OCSWMFT Board during the renewal process.
- Name Change: THE NAME LISTED IN THE BOARD'S DATABASE IS THE ONLY NAME YOU ARE LEGALLY ABLE TO PRACTICE UNDER. If your name has changed within the last 90 days you will need to notify the OCSWMFT Board of your NAME CHANGE during the renewal process.
Proof of Renewal: During the online renewal process you will recieve a receipt from the bank processing your payment. The CSWMFT Board does not generate this receipt.
Wallet Card: As of January 16, 2015 the CSWMFT Board voted to discontinue wallet cards. Your license can now be verified by using the Board's online license verification.
License Verification: Once you have renewed your license online or by paper application your license will be renewed the next business day. At this time your license has been updated to your next renewal date; this can be confirmed by going to Online License Verification
Audit: The audit is pulled after your license has been updated. The audit does not hold up renewal of your license.
If you have been convicted of a felony or first degree misdemeanor since your last renewal or since licensure you are required under law to report all misdemeanor and/or felony convictions (other than minor traffic violations). Failure to report any police record is falsification of an application and is grounds for denial of an application for renewal.
Military Deployment and renewal. If a licensee or their spouse is Military (active or reserve) special consideration is given. Contact the Renewal Coordinator to discuss your options. Detailed information is listed under the Quick Links see Military Licensing.