Allows a licensee/registrant whose license lapse due to active military service to renew the license at the usual cost without penalty or re-examination provided that the licensee is not otherwise disqualified due to mental or physical disability.
- Licensees/Registrants who are serving in the Armed Forces of the United States
- Licensee/Registrants who are the spouse of an individual serving in the Armed Forces of the United States, whose service resulted in the licensee's absence from Ohio.
Note: This provision does not extend the expiration date of a license nor can it renew an expired license. It only allows for the renewal of an lapsed license without penalty. If you are required to have an active license for your military position, you will need to renew your license prior to your renewal date. If you will be deployed prior to the opening of your renewal period, please contact the Board to make arrangements to renew your license early.
If you are licensed or registered by the Board and are seeking renewal of a lapsed license or registration, you may be eligible for a waiver of the late processing fee. In order to be eligible for this waiver, you will need to meet the following requirements:
1) The license or registration was not renewed because of the holder's service in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio National Guard.
(2) The license or registration was not renewed because the holder's spouse served in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio National Guard, and the service resulted in the holder's absence from this state.
(3) Not more than 6 months prior to the application for renewal, you or your spouse was honorably discharged or separated under honorable conditions from active duty or the National Guard.
(4) If you are a licensee/registrant, you are not suffering a mental/physical impairment affecting your ability to practice according to acceptable standards of care;
(5) Licensee/registrant must be able to show completion of approved continuing education hours.
Ohio Administrative Code Rule 4757-7-01(C)(1)(a)
(a) The license or registration was not renewed because of the holder's service in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard.
(b) The license or certificate was not renewed because the holder's spouse served in the armed forces of the United States or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard, and the service resulted in the holder's absence from this state.
(c) A renewal shall not be granted under this paragraph unless the holder or the holder's spouse, whichever is applicable, has presented satisfactory evidence of the service member's discharge under honorable conditions or release under honorable conditions from active duty or national guard duty within six months after the discharge or release.
(D) Waiver of continuing education requirements shall be processed as delineated in this rule. Waivers shall be requested using forms delineated by the board. Waiver of continuing education may be for the full thirty hours or any part thereof or a partial waiver of any or all of the hours that shall be completed by a future date per a consent agreement. Waivers should be requested with at least thirty days lead-time to allow processing prior to the expiration of a license for those licensees practicing in Ohio. A licensee whose license renewal date has passed shall not practice until they have renewed or they shall be in violation of section 4757.02 of the Revised Code and subject to administrative action up to and including revocation of their license.
(1) Per section 5903.12 of the Revised Code, a licensee or registrant upon application that is accompanied by proper documentation certifying that the licensee has been called to active duty as described in paragraph (D)(4)(a) and/or (D)(4)(b) of this rule during the current or a prior reporting period and certifying the length of that active duty, shall have the continuing education response time extended for the current reporting period by an amount of time equal to the total number of months that the licensee spent on active duty during the current reporting period. For purposes of this division, any portion of a month served on active duty shall be considered one full month.
(a) The person is a member of the Ohio national guard, the Ohio military reserve, the Ohio naval militia, or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States.
(b) The person has been called to active duty, whether inside or outside the United States, because of an executive order issued by the president of the United States or an act of congress, or upon the order of the governor, for a period in excess of thirty-one days.
(2) If a waiver is granted, the licensee shall renew immediately, and their file annotated as to the status of their waiver and any due date for completion of additional continuing education hours. Any licensee required to complete future continuing education hours shall complete a consent agreement prior to renewing their license.