ELIGIBILITY FOR LICENSURE AS AN INDEPENDENT SOCIAL WORKER
If you are a current member or veteran of the armed forces of the United States, or a reserve component of the armed forces of the United States, including the Ohio national guard, the following information is provided to help you in obtaining licensure as a Licensed Independent Social Worker by the Ohio Counselor, Social Worker and Marriage & Family Therapist Board. 4757-1-08
In accordance with Ohio Revised Code section 5903.03, the Board has adopted rules specifying the military programs of training, military primary specialties, and lengths of service that are substantially equivalent to or exceed the educational and experience requirements for licensure.
For members of the Armed Forces to be licensed as a Licensed Independent Social Worker the following requirements must be met:
1. Completion of a master’s degree in Social Work from a program accredited by the Council for Social Education (CSWE). OAC 4757-1-08(B)(1)(b)
2. Individuals applying from active duty status must have a military primary specialty as:
a. Army: Social Worker (AOC 73A)
b. Navy: Social Worker (NOBC None)
c. Air Force: Clinical Social Worker (AFSC 42SX)
3. Individuals applying from reserve status must be able to show two years of active duty service with a military primary specialty as listed above, or have two years of supervised experience from an LISW or equivalent.
4. Applicant must pass the licensure examination meeting the requirements established by the Social Work Professional Standards Committee pursuant to OAC 4757-19-02(C)(3)
Application fee shall be waived for an applicant who is a current member of the armed forces.
Please note: there are no military programs of training or minimal lengths of service that are substantially equivalent to or exceed the educational and experience requirements for the following license or registration types:
- Social Worker Assistant
- Licensed Social Workers
- Licensed Professional Counselor
- Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor
- Marriage and Family Therapist
- Independent Marriage and Family Therapist