Use this Guide if your degree meets the following education requirements for admission to the examination for Licensed Professional Counselor:
Master’s degrees from a clinical mental health counseling program, clinical rehabilitation counseling program, or addiction counseling program accredited by the council for accreditation of counseling and related educational programs “CACREP.” A master’s degree from a CACREP-accredited mental health counseling program meets the education requirements if it is conferred on or before January 1, 2018.
1) Requesting Approval to Take the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) National Counselor Examination (NCE):
• Submit an online LPC application.
• Once you have been approved to take the examination an eligibility letter will be emailed to you.
• Board examination approval will expire 6 months after it is issued. If you need additional time to take the exam, send another written request and request the extension.
2) NBCC Registration for the NCE Examination: Note: The registration processing time is four weeks from the time your payment is processed by NBCC
• After exam approval is issued by the Board, applicants may register for an NBCC exam by navigating to http://www.nbcc.org/Search/StateBoardDirectory/ohio. Select "Online Exam Registration". Applicants without a current NBCC account may create one by selecting "Create an Account". Those with an account may login. Once an account is created, applicants may edit and update contact information and submit exam registrations. Once paymentis made for an exam, NBCC suggests allowing approximately four weeks for review and completion of registration and email to be sent by Pearson Vue with instructions for scheduling exam. If the exam registration is a retake, and payment is submitted prior to eligibility to retake, the applicant's file will be sent to Pearson Vue once eligibility to retake begins, at which time Pearson Vue will and they will send instructions for scheduling. The fee of $275 is required at time of registration.
• Testing is normally the first two full weeks of each month, Monday through Saturday at 9:00am and 1:30pm,with four hours allowed for the exam, however only certain sites offer Saturday testing. Sometimes slots are limited, so schedule early.
• Pearson Vue is the test administrator. Information regarding the administration of the exam and to find a test location may be found at: http://www.pearsonvue.com/cce/.
• A candidate who fails to schedule an appointment for an examination within six months of registering with NBCC forfeits the registration and all fees paid to take the examination.
3) After you pass the NCE Exam: e-mail a copy of your exam results to firstname.lastname@example.org. Fax copies can be sent to (614) 728-7790.