Use this Guide if your degree meets the following education requirements for admission to the examination for Licensed Professional Counselor:
Master’s degrees from a clinical mental health counseling program, clinical rehabilitation counseling program, or addiction counseling program accredited by the council for accreditation of counseling and related educational programs “CACREP.” A master’s degree from a CACREP-accredited mental health counseling program meets the education requirements if it is conferred on or before January 1, 2018.
1) Requesting Approval to Take the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) National Counselor Examination (NCE):
• If you have already graduated fax, mail or email a written request or the form below to the Board office along with a copy of your transcript.
• If you attend a CACREP accredited school and are enrolled in your final term, you may request an examination packet by having your school send a letter to the board stating you are enrolled in your final semester of coursework.
• Once you have been approved to take the examination an eligibility letter, and exam registration form and PC Licensure Application will be emailed to you.
• Board examination approval will expire 6 months after it is issued. If you need additional time to take the exam, send another written request and request the extension.
2) NBCC Registration for the NCE Examination: Note: The registration processing time is four weeks from the time your payment is processed by NBCC
• Once you have obtained Board approval you may register with NBCC. The fee of $180 is required at time of registration.
• NBCC will process your registration and send you approval and information regarding exam date scheduling.
• Testing is normally the first two full weeks of each month, Monday through Saturday at 9:00am and 1:30pm,with four hours allowed for the exam, however only certain sites offer Saturday testing. Sometimes slots are limited, so schedule early.
• Pearson Vue is the test administrator. Information regarding the administration of the exam and to find a test location may be found at: http://www.pearsonvue.com/cce/.
• A candidate who fails to schedule an appointment for an examination within six months of registering with NBCC forfeits the registration and all fees paid to take the examination.
3) After you pass the NCE Exam: fax a copy of the NCE examination report showing your passing score to (614) 728-7790.