Print CT Application Instructions
Fill & Print CT Initial Application paper
NEW! CT online application
Yolanda.Berry@cswb.ohio.gov will be your contact person during the counselor trainee process. Contacting Yolanda to check for receipt or missing parts of your file can be counterproductive adding to her already busy schedule. The Board asks that you instead: carefully read and follow all instructions and keep copies of all faxed or mailed forms.
Allow at least two weeks for processing then contact Yolanda, if necessary. Yolanda’s other duties include but are not limited to ‘Supervision Designation’ for all licensees in Ohio. CT status can take up to 30 days.
Please start early and follow all directions. All forms for counselor trainee status (except background checks) may be faxed to Yolanda Berry at FAX # (614)728-7790 E-mail your CT documentation to Yolanda at Yolanda.Berry@cswb.ohio.gov
1. Complete Criminal Records Check: (Watch the Video)
For your initial CT Status you must complete both the BCI and FBI criminal records checks and have the results sent directly to the Board by BCI&I (Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation). By law, the Board cannot complete the processing of your application until it receives both the BCI and FBI background checks.
Print the BCI & FBI INSTRUCTIONS and take the sheet with you to a WebCheck® location.
2. Obtain Proof of Enrollment in a master’s or doctoral-level practicum or internship showing the start and end dates of the academic term(s): Send your proof of enrollment with your Counselor Trainee Initial Application
3. Complete and Submit the Counselor Trainee Initial Application: Fax, email or mail it to the Board with your proof of enrollment in an internship or practicum. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself.
Counselor, Social Worker & Marriage and Family Therapist Board
77 S High Street, 24th Floor, Room 2468
Columbus, Ohio 43215-6171
614-466-0912 & Fax 614-728-7790
You must be supervised by a LPC-S (Licensed Professional Counselor- Supervisor) or LPCC-S (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor-Supervisor)
A counselor trainee in their Practicum may be supervised by a LPC-S or LPCC-S. A practicum consists of no less than 100 hours of which 40 hours are direct service…with clients and or groups
A counselor trainee in their Internship must be supervised by a LPCC-S. A supervised internship shall be no less than 600 hundred hours of which 240 hours shall be in direct services, which include diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders and conditions under a LPCC-S. Training supervision shall include an average of one hour of face-to face contact between the supervisor and supervises for every twenty-hours of work by the supervises.
Due to budget cuts, the Board will not mail proof of CT status. You and your supervisor will receive an email from the Board regarding your status. To verify your status follow the steps below or click to watch our video. Your status may show up as Pending, then active once your application is complete and the CT issued.
For verification of your CT status go to the board’s web site: www.cswmft.ohio.gov
1) Click on: Online License Verification ”
2) At the Ohio License Center fill in only two areas Select of Board and “Name (Last, First)”
a. Select a Board: should say: “Counselor, Social Worker, and Marriage & Family Therapist Board”
b. Scroll down to “Name (Last, First)” in the first box type your “last name” in the next box type your “first name” click the search button.
3) Once the page re-loads click on your name. The page that comes up next will be the page you print for license verification.
(A) Definition of supervision:
(1) "Training supervision" is supervision of all individuals who are gaining the experience required for a license as a professional clinical counselor, or a license as a professional counselor under rule 4757-13-01 of the Administrative Code, or a counselor trainee registered with the board and enrolled in a practicum or internship class under paragraph (E) of this rule. This type of supervision requires extensive time and involvement on the part of the supervisor in order to help supervisees improve their skills and/or learn new skills. Training supervision shall include an average of one hour of face-to-face contact between the supervisor and supervisee for every twenty hours of work by the supervisee. Training supervision shall be face-to-face individual and/or triadic for counselor trainees. Training supervision shall be face-to-face individual or group supervision for professional counselors.
(A)(3) "Group supervision" is board approved supervision that consists of not more than six supervisees for one supervisor.
(C) (2) Training supervisees may not choose a supervisor who is a family member or who is related to them in any way.
(C)(1)(f) Complete and forward to the board all supervision evaluation forms required by the board within thirty days of receipt of the form from a supervisee.
(C)(3) Professional counselors who are registered with the board for training supervision and engaging in the supervised diagnosis and treatment of mental and emotional disorders shall not collect fees in their own names. All billings shall be in the name of the employing agency or the licensed supervisor.
(C)(4) The professional clinical counselor with supervision designation is responsible for all diagnoses, change in diagnoses, individualized services plans, and correspondence to any third party outside of the agency.
Share with supervisors that they must complete an evaluation, if they agreed to be a training supervisor